Marina Bay Sands
History and Description of the Marina Bay Sands
The official opening took place over two days on the 23rd of June 2010. International stars such as Kelly Rowland and Diana Ross took part in the ceremony and it also included a World Championship Climbing Competition with 7 teams climbing the complexes glass façade.One of the high points of the ceremony was the opening of the Sky Park in front of a 2000 strong crowd. On the 17th of February 2011 there was a third grand opening when a museum in the form of a lotus was added to the complex. At that time the Marina Bay Sands Singapore was evaluated to have cost an investment of 5.7 billion dollars but Sheldon Adelson claimed that it cost 8 billion due to extra costs during construction mainly for labour and building material costs. What is clear though is that to date, the Marina Bay Sands is the most expensive casino resort built.
The Marina Bay Sands’ services and attractions
The Marina Bay Sands with its three 55 floor towers and 2561 extremely luxurious rooms and suites offers a wide range of attractions and services:
- 50 restaurants including 9 gourmet restaurants,
- A convention centre and theatre : The 120 000m2 Sands Expo and Convention Center hosts all types of events and shows,
- The Sky Park : a 200 metre high 12 400m2 aerial terrace with superb gardens and an immense 146 metre infinity pool ( the longest in the world),
- A lotus-shaped museum : The Art Science Museum,
- The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands : An immense shopping centre with a canal, like in the Venetian, flowing through it. It has many top designer label boutiques. It also has two crystal buildings : one housing two nightclubs (Avalon and Pangaea) and the other the largest Louis Vuitton shop in the world. This huge shopping centre also has a skateboard ramp and the Mastercard Theatres (Sands Theatre and Grand Theatre).
The Marina Bay Sands Casino
Situated in front of the complexes towers, The Marina Bay Sands Casino is without doubt the most prestigious in Singapore. Players can find all the most popular casino games as well as a good variety of new games. Over its three floors, it offers almost 2500 slot machines and about 100 gaming tables with 200 reserved for major gamblers. The only negative is that The Marina Bay Sands doesn’t have a Poker Room but that doesn’t affect the prestigious reputation of the casino which attracts high rollers in Singapore.