It has been a challenging year for land casinos, and lots of casino workers have worried about their futures throughout 2020. Today, 18,000 MGM Resorts workers got the news they have been dreading; they’ve lost their jobs and are being laid off. These jobs will be lost in MGM’s casinos in the United States.
The firm is struggling in post-pandemic circumstances. MGM CEO Bill Hornbuckle confirmed the cuts in a memo issued on Friday.
What the Memo Said
The CEO’s memo made things crystal clear, which if nothing else is a relief amidst such recent uncertainty.
- The company will pay healthcare for staff until the end of September.
- If staff are hired again in the future, they will retain seniority.
- There were no specific details about when staff might be recalled or what needs to happen for that to occur.
MGM has gone over and above for its staff during the lockdowns. The MGM Resorts Foundation provided a fund worth $11 million to help meet staff needs, and MGM founder Kirk Kerkorian added another $2 million of his own cash to the pot.
Nonetheless, business is business, and with several key MGM casinos still closed in New York and Las Vegas, and with severe restrictions in place in the casinos that have reopened, layoffs were inevitable.
MGMBet Linked to Evolution Gaming in New Deal
Despite the troubles to its land-based business, MGM Resorts is forging ahead and making new deals to grow its online business. BetMGM, which is a collaboration between MGM Resorts International and GVC Holdings, signed a deal with live gaming leader Evolution Gaming to provide live dealer games to BetMGM players as well as a few partner sites such as Borgata Online and Party Casino.
It’s been clear to use for a while that live casino gaming is the future, and we’ve consistently reported that despite the financial woes 2020 has brought to the doors of land casinos, those who have thought ahead and partnered with Evolution Gaming and others are in prime position to thrive.
Live Games for US and UK Players
While US players will soon be able to enjoy Evolution’s live games at BetMGM, UK players can play them right now at 32Red live casino.
32Red offers the following benefits:
- A safe gaming environment approved by the UK Gambling Commission.
- Access to all of Evolution’s live games, including roulette, blackjack, and baccarat.
- Fast payouts when you win. Verified accounts can get same-day payouts within the UK.