When Evolution acquired NetEnt, we thought we might see a new breed of live casino games. We didn’t have to wait long for confirmation. Recently, Evolution released Gonzo’s Treasure Hunt, a new live game that plays a lot like a slot machine, but is something totally unique in itself.
Of course, we were keen to check this new live game out and see what it offers. We weren’t disappointed. As usual, Evolution has innovated, taken the industry forward, and is once again displaying how far ahead of its other live casino competitors it is.
This is our full and in-depth Gonzo’s Treasure Hunt review. It takes a while to wrap your head around, but once you get the hang of it, it’s one of the most fun live dealer games online.
Gonzo’s Treasure Hunt – Key Features
- This game is powered by Evolution and is themed on NetEnt’s legendary slot game Gonzo’s Quest adapted to a live casino setting.
- Throughout the game, you’ll see a 3D animated Gonzo. He’ll interact with the game at various points. There’s also a live game host to talk you through everything and give commentary on the action.
- Betting limits range from £0.10 to £500 per round. This makes Gonzo’s Treasure Hunt suitable for players on all bankrolls.
- Stones can have payouts values of up to 65x, but once multipliers and extra cash prizes are added, each stone can pay up to 20,000.
- You can also play this game in VR mode if you have a virtual reality headset.
How Gonzo’s Treasure Hunt Works
When we review a new live dealer game, we always play it for real to see how it works. This enables us to give you an impartial and unbiased overview of how it works. This is what to expect when you play Gonzo’s Treasure Hunt online.
- When you load the game, an entertaining live game host will greet you and welcome you. You’ll see various colourful symbols with multipliers along the bottom of the screen. You’ll need to place wagers on these to have a chance at winning. You can bet on as many of them as you’d like.
- The various colourful symbols on the screen will rotate and disappear. The game host will commentate and a 3D animated Gonzo will listen on.
- The next step is to pick stones on the main game screen. You can buy up to 20 picks out of the 70 stones in each round. When you select stones, a golden handprint will appear on them. The more stones you pick, the greater your chances of winning will be.
- Gonzo will then spring to life and turn a golden key in a lock. This will rotate a reel at the top of the reels. Various amounts such as +10 and multipliers between 2x and 10x can fall from this reel onto the main screen to increase prizes. New spins of the reel can also be won.
- When this top reel stops rolling, the stones will rotate again and you’ll win prizes linked to the picks you made.
Are There Any Negatives to This Game?
Negatives are always relative. However, there are a few things that could be perceived as negative by some players.
- Complexity – The first few times you play this game, you might not fully understand what’s going on. It will take two or three rounds before you fully understand the game. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but for players who prefer simplicity, it could be.
- Bandwidth – This is a game with lots of cool graphics and extra features. If you’re using a mobile data plan, it could be intensive.
Gonzo’s Treasure Hunt – Players Verdict
This is a fun and interesting game with potentially extremely high payouts. With the extra prize drops from the top of the reels, each stone could pay a whopping 20,000. Of course, you’ll have to be lucky to win that much, but the fact that it’s possible makes this a live casino game with the potential payouts of a jackpot slot machine.
Yes, this game will take a few tries to fully understand, and no, it won’t be for everyone. But if this is the sort of quality we can expect from Evolution going forward, its dominance in live casino gaming is only going to grow stronger.