Roulette is one of the first games most people think of when they play casino table games. You’ll find a roulette table in every casino in the world, and every online casino, too. There’s something about watching the red and black wheel spin and the ball bouncing into a pocket that players find exhilarating, and anyone who has played roulette will tell you it’s a high-octane experience.
In this article, we’re going to tell you how to play roulette. There are a couple of different variants of this popular table game, but at their core, they are all similar. The gameplay and rules are basically the same no matter which roulette variant you choose.
Read this article until the end — and you will know how to play Roulette online.
How to Play Roulette – Step by Step
Since this site is all about live dealer games, we’ve written the following instructions as if you were playing live roulette. If you’ve never played roulette before, these steps will tell you exactly what you need to do.
- First, choose your preferred roulette game from the game menu. For this example, we will choose European roulette.
- The live dealer will welcome you to the game and invite you to place your bets. You will do this by placing digital chips on a 3D game board which appears on the screen. Be sure to do this before the betting window closes. The betting minimums and maximums are determined by the table you have chosen.
- Once the betting window closes, the dealer will spin the roulette wheel and drop the ball onto it. The ball will spin on the wheel for a few seconds, and will eventually come to rest in one of the pockets.
- Players who have bet on the correct number or colour will win a cash prize. Payouts differ depending on which bets you have made. We’ll explain more about roulette bets and payouts below.
- The dealer will congratulate the winners, winning bets will be credited automatically, and a new round of betting will begin.
Roulette is one of the simplest casino games. That’s part of the reason for its popularity. As the above steps show, it is incredibly easy. As a player, all you have to do is choose how you want to bet and let the dealer take care of the rest.
Roulette Bets & Payouts
Imagine you’re at step two in the sequence above. You’re about to place your bets before the dealer spins the wheel. What betscanyou make and which betsshouldyou make?
Each roulette bet has different odds and payouts. Refer to the table below to see the data.
From studying this table, we can observe two things:
- The more likely a bet is to pay, the less it pays if you win it.
- You’re always better off playing European roulette games.
The reason why European roulette games are slightly more favourable than American versions is that European games only have one zero pocket. This means the house edge in European roulette is just 2.7%. Since there are two zero pockets in American roulette, the house edge increases to 5.26%.
It is our hope that this information will help you make up your mind about which roulette bets you want to make. Remember that it is possible to make multiple bets on any given spin. For example, you could make a red/black bet as well as a bet on three numbers.
Tips For Playing Roulette
We wish there was an easy way to win roulette every time. Unfortunately, that is not the case. The casino will always have a slight advantage. However, there are some roulette tips and tricks which some experienced players feel are worth using.
- Play European Variants –There are now many different roulette variants online. From penny roulette to advanced live dealer variants such as Lightning Roulette, you’ll be spoilt for choice. Always choose variants which are played on a European roulette wheel. The house edge is much lower, and your odds of winning are better on all bets.
Check out the best games of Lightning Roulette online with a live dealer.
- Look for Alternatives – Games like Lightning Roulette offer random multipliers of up to 500x on some lucky numbers. It’s worth trying your luck at these alternative roulette games. While you’re not guaranteed to win, these special rules often present extra winning opportunities.
- Consider Betting Systems – All roulette betting systems carry some risk and are bound to fail in the long run. However, some of them can give you a temporary edge. For example, The Martingale System of doubling down on previous losing bets on even money outcomes ensures you will win back all you have lost + your initial stake. Of course, you could run out of money or hit a table limit first. You should learn about the different roulette systems and try them.
- Try French Roulette – This is an interesting European roulette variant which has rules to your advantage. Whereas you would normally lose your even money bets if the ball landed in the zero pocket, in French roulette, your wager is either kept “En Prison” until the next spin, or the “La Partage” rule applies, and you get half of your bet back.
- Manage Your Bankroll – This is good advice for every casino game, but it especially applies to roulette. If you go on a winning or losing streak, it can be emotional. Maintain your presence of mind and never bet more than a designated percentage of your bankroll per bet. Some players recommend never risking more than 1% per spin. You can decide how much you are comfortable with.
Play live roulette online in licensed casino.